Sunday, July 17, 2011

Let's talk poop.

****go back if you're squeamish or easily offended. Consider yourself warned.****

Ok, let's talk about what you've been dying to know about: POOP! As an abuser of laxatives (well...formerly) I am plagued with....can you guess.....chronic constipation. Bad. My dietitian Rhonda said that that's the issue she first wants to tackle. Yep....here's to wishing for luck.

I did them for years. Off and on. There was a period, though, where I was doing 10 a day every day for about a month or so. I started bleeding. So I kept telling Dr Skinner what was going on. I can't remember if I told her about the laxatives. I think I did...anyway. As an introduction to my 30s I was given a colonoscopy. Happy Birthday? Have you ever had one?? I testify to this day I did the prep correctly. I drank that thick, horrendous junk. Gagged on it many times. It's like swallowing a THICK oil. Well, based on every other patient's experience, I should have been cleaned out over night!
Hellllllooooo?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not me. Nothing happened with the prep and I began to get nervous the morning of the procedure. I will tell you just a few things about my experience:
1. I woke up very wet on my backside. Manual cleaning. Enough said. (yikes!!)
2. I love propofol. I don't remember a darn thing. Some of my friends work in surgery and were there.....they've got stuff on me now.
3. I was 30 years old. That shouldn't have had to happen.

I still can't really poop well. I'm 32 now. I am ingesting 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed in my yogurt every day. That seems to be doing something. I sure hope so. Chronic constipation is just one of the unfortunate consequences of an eating disorder. Laxatives are toxic to the body. Not to mention you start messing with all your electrolytes and body fluids. Dehydration big time baby!! Did I lose weight? Initially, yes, I did.
Did I gain it back? Oh yah. But now I am paying the price. Dr Skinner said it'll take a long time for my bowels to get back into proper working order. It could always be worse though.

I could have had part of my intestine removed and given a colostomy bag. Some days....when I go 1 or 2 weeks without any pooping (that's my norm) I wish I had a bag.
In reality....

I'm lucky. Chronic constipation is a small price to pay for all the damage I did.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

BodyImageWarrior-Badge1
Happiness Project

Be Coolio

LINKwithlove