Friday, August 5, 2011

Breaking the Piggy Bank

So while it's fact that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder, they are also one of the most costly to treat.

I thought it would be interesting today to gather monetary records from my providers on how much money I and my insurance has paid out so far. I first went to Kristin, my therapist. Her bookkeeper emailed me an Excel spreadsheet with every single transaction dating back to my very first visit with Kristin, 4/27/2009. So.....as of 7/26/11, $4601.91 has been paid to my therapist. That's my insurance and my out of pocket amounts.

$4601.91

I haven't even inquired with my medical providers and dietitian yet! I'll tell you though, after much laxative abuse, a colonoscopy came to a final bill amount of approximately $5300.00.

I was in an inpatient facility for eating disorder treatment that cost over $1200.00 a day.

My treatment is far from over. Progress is being made, but sometimes it kills the fighting spirit. Donations, anyone? Ha...just kidding!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

BodyImageWarrior-Badge1
Happiness Project

Be Coolio

LINKwithlove